Church of Reality Logos

This post was written by marc on August 15, 2004
Posted Under: Religion

OK – I have some new logos that have been submitted to become the Church of Reality logos. Looking for some feedback on what people think.

The halo image is very powerful. A halo is a symbol that says this object is holy – or scared. Which is what the Church of Reality is all about. So – “R” stands for reality – then the Halo over the R means Reality is Holy. Or in this case the belief in reality is holy. The dharma of the Church of Reality is to make Reality sacred. Thus putting a halo on reality symbolizes the purpose of the Church.

People have asked me – “Why are you degrading reality down to a religion?” And I can understand that. In pure science it doesn’t matter if this planet gets sucked into a black hole or not. But we have made a subjective call that our survival is better than our extinction and that the progress of man towards a better understanding of reality is something that is important to us. Because this decision is subjective – it is a religious decision. It is what we choose to believe in. So we make reality a sacred thing and it forms the basis for our religious identity. We are Realists – practicing Realism – asking the sacred question – “What is Real”.

The symbol – a halo over an R is something that I like. It’s simple so people can draw it on things to compete with the cross and the cressent that other religions use.

I’d like to get some feedback on this and see what others think of the logos and if you have and better suggestions – let me know.

hey marc, being a web developer and graphic artist myself, i like it! great use of light, good concept…nice stuff…

Written By charlie chingas on August 15th, 2004 @ 8:32 pm

I humbly suggest that you lower the brightness of the background white to make the cloud a little more defined. I also suggest that you lower the level of the halo’s reflections on the top of the R to make them both stand out more. It might be worthwhile to put a little edge on the halo to further define it. Other than that, it’s perfect.

Written By Brenda Helverson on August 15th, 2004 @ 10:48 pm

The logo rules donkeyballs. Listen to the comments of the graphics-folks in order to improve on it, though.

[quote]People have asked me – “Why are you degrading reality down to a religion?”[/quote]

Downgrade my buttocks. It’s an upgrade! 😀

Besides… there’s some mockery behind this entire CoR-thing, and I thought it was quite obvious. Let’s all take the time to see the humor behind it, shall we?

Finally we have a camp of our own. No Christian will ever try to convert somebody who is religiously dedicated to another ‘religion’, such as CoR.

Now we are finally able to tell Christians that we BELIEVE in reality. Us atheists live a lifestyle of maximized simplicity: we accept things as they are. We won’t need to live a whole lifetime of trying to come up with explanations for the web of inconsistencies that is Christianity. That is a very piece-giving thing, I feel.

So all of you that are desperate for mental relaxation… come join the CoR! Your mind will never be tied in a knot again!

Written By Jay the Avenger on August 16th, 2004 @ 3:17 am

I like the logo – especially the simple R with a halo.

Written By MadBlue on August 16th, 2004 @ 5:24 am

The “R” reminds me of The Riemann Tensor. It looks like the symbol for curved space. Now that’s ironic!

Written By dancho on August 16th, 2004 @ 1:31 pm

Cool stuff! Can’t wait to get the bumper sticker. And put it on my fuel-inefficient German sedan. And cut people off every chance I get. (j/k)

Of course Reality is a tricky thing. Taking one’s own Reality as sacred might keep some people from overcoming limitations or challenging their “delusions”. Taking the social “consensus” as Reality will simplify the society to the lowest common denominator. And watching Reality TeeVee is just a plain waste of time.

“No Christian will ever try to convert somebody who is religiously dedicated to another ‘religion'” … eh? Someone needs to catch up on history. Oh, the things a Christian inquisitor can do to a pair of Jewish testicles… it boggles the mind! Boggles I tells you!

~~Alex~~

Written By Alex Libman on August 16th, 2004 @ 1:36 pm

Good point Alex.

But I myself have only had contact with Christians in my own time. Luckily, those are the kind that aren’t gonna start a war on your ass for having a different opinion.

Written By Jay the Avenger on August 16th, 2004 @ 3:12 pm

Damn, I wrote a subjective approval message,, then hit “cancel”,,,ddoh,, I like the halo over the “r”,,,,,

Written By Robert on August 16th, 2004 @ 10:02 pm

uhm, reality is sacred, because once it gets distorted, than you begin to live in world where monkeys fly.

Written By charlie chingas on August 17th, 2004 @ 8:13 am

Imagine a line, or scale, if you will, called “Belief”. At one end of the line lies ideas that you are very sure are true. At the other end, the ideas that you are very sure aren’t. The middle of the line represents pure uncertainty and ignorance. We all hold our subjective experience of reality against a Belief line that we’ve developed during our lives, in order to try to comprehend that which we perceive.

A theology of Reality (big “R”), apparently, would seek to sanctify the ends of the Belief line. Such sanctification would require that the body of ideas and concepts we regard as being big-R “Reality” to be proven to lie at the very ends of the Belief line. The scale of truth would therefore become singular; where the probability of a “Real” concept is either absolutely zero or absolutely infinity. It would either be infinitely true, or infinitely false. The “tensor metric of knowledge” at the middle of the Belief line would increase without bound, stretching the very fabric of epistemology to the point of being torn apart in the infinite tidal “force” where everything and anything is both true and false, and neither, all at the same time, analogously to what happens to material form and laws at the singularity of a black hole. The black hole of ignorance, therefore, would manifest itself as a very wide and unavoidable epistemological singularity into which many a student of “Reality” has fallen, and many more will fall. Apparently, narrow is the road and straight is the way to enlightenment in this “church”, to an unreachable degree, if Godel’s Incompleteness Theorem has anything to say about it.

I would propose, then, that there is only one “concept” that is worthy of being sanctified in a Theology of Reality. It is the one single thing that we all know to be true beyond any doubt whatsoever. It is, I submit, the ONLY thing that we can know for sure, that lies at the truth end of the line, that no one can ever refute. It is simply the knowledge that you do exist – that you are conscious, perceiving “reality”. It’s the one thing that sets us apart from the typical doorknob, and makes us special, the one thing that is truly important about us and the only thing therefore deserving of theological sanctification. It may very well qualify as a true miracle, right up there with the existence of the Universe itself. Which is precisely what makes Death so tragic.

To the extent that we know we exist, Death is quite unimaginable. In contrast to what we believe to be true, and tell what is “Real” and what is not, the Reality of Death is the Ultimate Mystery and the Ultimate Singularity. The Singularity of Death, which is also the singularity of consciousness and ultimately, all thought and perception, is the ultimate antithesis of Reality. And becomes, therefore, the ultimate justification, purpose and thesis of all theology and mysticism.

Written By paperbutton on August 20th, 2004 @ 8:31 pm

Marc,

Isn’t this this “religion” of reality just…science? Or scientism? Which has always been 100% antithetic to religion?

Science is about finding out and knowing what is really real. Religion is about having blind faith in something that is not true on its own merits.

You yourself defined religion as something which doesn’t make any sense…on your first church of reality webpages.

I think its a mistake to try & combine two concepts so different & naturally opposed.

But I think its OK if seen as a kind of tongue-in-cheek joke. My 2 cents, as you humans say.

Live Long and prosper.

Spock out.

Written By Mr. Spock on August 21st, 2004 @ 12:55 am

it seems to me it’s the religous folks that always try to refute someone elses beliefs. “i won’t acknowledge yours, but you better acknowledge mine cuz jesus is our saviour and you will burn in hell…”

Written By charlie chingas on August 21st, 2004 @ 12:36 pm

Nice graphic.

That said, using the stock religious imagery of the old-line church seems less than our best effort. The halo is a symbol that has become a cliche. I wish we could push that a little further and find some new symbols that are as effective; or modify the old one somewhat (a break, change of color, angle, style, etc.)

The image is very pretty, and well crafted. However it could well be on the cover of a paperback book in the Baptist Bible Book store. Let’s push a little more for differentiation and less adaptation. What in that image conveys our contrarian stand on religion?

bbb

Written By jgsf on August 21st, 2004 @ 5:56 pm

Wheres the tits and ass?

Written By GPB on August 23rd, 2004 @ 3:49 pm