Lipstick on a Pig

This post was written by marc on August 30, 2004
Posted Under: Bush,Politics

As the Republican convention opens the GOP is hiding it’s real face from the public. They trot out McCain and Schwarzenegger to put a pretty face on the pig. The neocons are being pushed into the background as they try to pretend to be reasonable.

If the GOP were honest they would be trotting out the real power behind their party. Ken Lay of Enron would be a keynote speaker. The Reverend Sun Mung Moon would be in prime time. Why not have John Ashcroft talk about civil liberties? Lets get Rummy to talk about why torturing prisioners is a good idea. Prince Vandar should speak about why high oil prices is good for America. Where’s Tom Delay? Where’s Newt? Where’s Jerry Falwell? Where’s Pat Robbertson? They should have a representative for Haliburton there – oh wait – they do have one. And – some of Bush’s business partners in the bin Laden family.

I need to turn this into a letter to the editor.

Come on Marc, For the same reason that the Democrats did not have the Riyadh family speak, or Ken Lay for that fact. It is not that often that cabinet members speak. Hell, the Democrats rolled out JFK jr. instead his vodka soaked uncle. He was not even an office holder. The Republicans are rolling out Republican ELECTED officials.

Written By tomocius on August 30th, 2004 @ 8:28 am

you might influence more swing voters if you adopt a more restrained tone; i bet many of them get turned off by overtly partisan attacks (even valid ones). david brooks writes restrained conservative columns, and i (a liberal) read them and learn from them; paul krugman and bob herbert write liberal columns that i never read, because they’re hopelessly one-sided.

you have great points in your letters (e.g. that forcing x1.5 overtime pay creates more jobs by forcing employers to hire more help — i haven’t thought of that argument), but i’m afraid people might miss them if they’re surrounded by openy contemptuous text.

Written By ilya shlyakhter on August 30th, 2004 @ 8:28 am

I come here in a quest for political insights, and find nothing but venomous political religion.

There is absolutely nothing here for people of conscience.

Looks to me like this is clearly “The Church of the left-wing of the radical elements of the Democratic party”.

Other than reving up the “party faithful” this site serves no purpose.

Off to find “honest” and useful information for for casting an intelligent vote. Too bad this site was a waste of time.

Written By No Information Here on August 30th, 2004 @ 8:49 am

The LOOTED tens of Billions from US Banks and S&Ls makes the money Kenny Boy Stole from ENRON workers and California ratepayers look like Girl Scout Cookie Money. Funny thing The Massive Texas Land and Bank Frauds are all hushed up AGAIN ?????????????????????????

Written By JurisNot on August 30th, 2004 @ 9:14 am

If you are talking about MADISON GUARANTY SAVINGS and WHITEWATER, that was in Arkansas. Now, do you have any evidence that George Bush was involved in any of this. I do not care what his brother did. His brother is not running for President.

Written By tomocius on August 30th, 2004 @ 9:44 am

Wills

Try to pass it off that you are partisan ( I know what you meant), but get real you have already made your mind with who you side

(YES, I HAVE ALREADY MADE UP MY MIND ON WHOSE SIDE I AM ON FOR THIS ELECTION, BARRING ANY FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE. DOES THAT MAKE ME PARTISAN? SO, ANYONE WHO HAS MADE UP THEIR MIND AT THIS POINT IN THE CAMPAIGN IS PARTISAN? GET REAL.).

And you did it even after I addressed it in my post. You said, the president doesn’t do this and that, but if he doesn’t have anything to do with CABINET POSITIONS
(DID I SAY THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CABINET POSITION? NO, I SAID THAT CABINET MEMBERS RARELY SPEAK AT THE CONVENTION)

Come on Wills, someone just called the GOP cry babies, and all I read here is WHAA WHAA WHAA from you guys about what Bush is or is not doing. Kerry isn’t doing this or that … because he can’t.

Written By tomocius on August 30th, 2004 @ 10:13 am

Hey Ilya, you make an excellent point. Right now the Bush campaign is involved in massive partisan attacks. Of what I’ve seen, it seems people love that crap. What else explains Reality Television? Is it because it’s what the viewers want? I think the majority of the sheeple depend on the media and the government to think for them. All they want is to get entertained and complain about the economy, about Kerry, Bush (they both suck, to put it bluntly). My two cents…

Written By charlie chingas on August 30th, 2004 @ 10:41 am

Charlie, most people want the government to provide them with most things, why would you expect them to draw the line at thoughts and ideas. We have a generation and a half that think government is the end all be all of our problems. Basically, it started when the Democrats were losing the working class vote to the Republicans, at which time they went out to promote the idea of ENTITLEMENTS, for the voters who were left. In the 1980s they talked of the REAGAN DEMOCRATS. A Reagan Democrat was a working class Democrat with strong conservative values. The problem has gotten so bad that it has festered into a new problem. It has created what I call JESSE JACKSON REPUBLICANS, these are Republicans who now think that government is trully the answer, and are jockeying into position for their ENTITLEMENTS.

Written By tomocius on August 30th, 2004 @ 11:04 am

Tom, why are you preaching to the choir? I know many people want to blame something, so they blame the government. There is no more accountability, at least for a few, in the country. Everyone’s to blame, yet no one wants to take responsiblity. I don’t know where it started, but it needs to end. Also, I’ve noticed some similarities on today’s current events and the Star Wars saga. Can’t wait for Episode III…

Written By charlie chingas on August 30th, 2004 @ 11:28 am

“I don’t think you give timelines to dictators.” -pResident McWarHardon, about North Korea and Iran.

Why not invade them like we did Iraq? Diplomatic pressures? There’s proof that these countries do have WMDs, but we’re not going to invade? Does not make sense…

Written By charlie chingas on August 30th, 2004 @ 2:00 pm